Subject: PC computers are unable to pass video to specific 4K Samsung displays when used with the RON-444
Scenario: When using any brand of windows PC as an input to the RON-444 with a Samsung 4K display on the output of the RON, video is unable to pass.
You may see a message saying, “not supported” or a green image with sparkles.
- Verify that you receive signal on another display (preferably not another 4K Samsung display). LG, Sony, Vizio, Panasonic, Sharp and other display manufacturers are not affected.
- If you are unable to get video signal on other displays, check your HDMI cables or any other product used in the signal path.
- It is recommended to bypass all other equipment and use a short HDMI (under 10ft on the input and output for testing).
If this does not help in providing video, please see the steps below.
A firmware update can be performed on the RON-444 which will change the way it outputs a signal to one that is supported by the Samsung display. This firmware can be found here.
To perform the firmware update please follow the steps below:
What is required for the update:
- Laptop or a PC running Windows OS 7 (the current loaded Firmware doesn't support Windows 8.x/10)
- USB to miniUSB cable
- Firmware 1.0.02 saved on your desktop of the PC
To perform the update:
- Power off the RON-444 by disconnecting the power supply
- Connect the USB cable between your Laptop / PC and the AT-RON-444 device
- Press and hold the "EDID" button while reconnecting power - this action will trigger the USB Upgrade mode and cause the RON-444 to show up as a new drive:
- The AT-RON-444 will act as a USB drive, at this point please drag and drop the (copy, past) the provided Firmware to the AT-RON-444 unit
- wait for the front LED to flash and at the end of the process disconnect the device from your Laptop / PC and connect your source and displays
- Feel free to power cycle the RON-444 and try passing video to a Samsung 4K display. Video show now pass. If you still have video pass through issues, please see this article for how to perform an EDID learn on the RON-444 unit.
Article ID: KB01389